Two more important things to add to the list.
9. Exercise every day. In fact, I’d say it’s ideal to get some exercise out of the way by doing it first thing in the morning. This is huge. It helps me sleep better and makes me a happier person (and it’s, oh I don’t know — healthy?) but beyond that it’s insanely helpful for focus, motivation, and sometimes just to get some space away from your material to sort through an idea. I try to mix up my exercise so I don’t get bored but I do yoga about three days a week and walk or hike three days a week and am usually too hungover on Sundays to move from my bed/my deck/the beach. (I’m a firm believer in taking a day off from exercise too — give your body a rest!) Walking is especially great if you really do treat it like a serious workout and go with a friend, ideally a writer friend — because then you can sort out ideas, talk things out, come to some new breakthroughs, etc. It’s productive and good for you!
10. Try to take a shower and put on some real clothes. This one is super hard. Seriously! Especially when you work from home. Like, right now, I am wearing a neon pink onesie. Does this count as real clothes? That’s debatable. However, because I did yoga early this morning and took a shower — it counts. I’m dressed for the day! I know this seems silly but when you write from home (or a coffee shop or whatever) it’s still worthwhile to dress for work — obviously stay comfortable (most of the time I don’t wear pants, let’s be honest), but definitely pull yourself together. It really helps to look the part and dress like you are “going to work” even if that work means you are sitting in your bed with a lapdesk and hundreds of pages of script scattered around you. And showering is good. You don’t have to wash your hair (I’m lucky if I wash my hair once a week), but just like, rinse off or something. Another great place to have breakthroughs is in the shower. And also, you know, keep good personal hygiene, and stuff, okay? Okay. Great.
- gwendabond likes this
- afashionablefrown likes this
- nosexcity likes this
- newo-monty likes this
- jtwomey reblogged this from stamos
- jtwomey likes this
- jihadtojannah reblogged this from stamos and added:
- jihadtojannah likes this
- onthejog likes this
- thebabybangs likes this
- samiholloway reblogged this from stamos
- bammoo likes this
- mymissus likes this
- megsokay likes this
- stamos posted this